[access-uk] Re: bbc iplayer

  • From: "Peter Beasley" <pjbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 13:06:33 +0100

Probably none.
----- Original Message ----- From: "alex thynne" <alex.thynne@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2008 11:43 AM
Subject: [access-uk] bbc iplayer

Hi

well I'm going to argue that it seems that the BBC had not done enough
internal research into the iplayer before its launch.  I wonder just how
much internal consultation was done with blind and partially sighted BBC
employees who could have tested out a version of the player on the BBC's own
intranet before it went out live in the first place.  To my way of looking
at things like this, it's a case of knocking down the practice fence.  If
the matter of a consultation and a road testing program was not done in the
first place, then that's dreadful particularly as the Corporation is
supposed to be committed to acessibility.

Of course I wouldn't expect anyone to comment on here publicly in the event
that it might cause a conflict of interest, but from a perspective of
someone who isn't a techy but likes playing around with things, it does seem
to me that something fundamental was not done here from the writing of the
player in its early developmental stages.

Alex
skype name: grytpype2006
windows live messenger name: alex.thynne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx