[access-uk] Re: badly designed websites

  • From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:18:02 +0000

On 6/1/09 17:04, Mark Matthews wrote:
I totally agree here James. I think nowadays its almost gone to the
other extreme...people are way too quick to brand a site as
"Inaccessible".

Though the OP didn't say the Cobalt website was "inaccessible"; she said this particular practice made it more difficult for her to use.

I don't like to use "accessible" and "inaccessible" as absolute categories. I think it's more helpful to think of more and less accessible practices, particularly with reference to particular user groups. For example, a site might be very easy for a screen reader user to use, and very hard for a person with a learning disability to use.

I agree with the OP that including "Click here for" in a link generally makes a site harder to use, although there may be cases where it serves to emphasise a link as a call to action.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis