[access-uk] Re: audio described online films/movies

  • From: Ibrahim Gucukoglu <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 14:44:41 +0000

James and Clive

Many commercial DVDs now offer audio description tracks, in fact I've got about
two dozen titles in my collection which have audio description and I'm sure
every new release except for a few from the independent film studios have audio
description in one form or another. I'm not saying I'm against people sharing
audio described films in the way that blind mice Mat do, I just think that in
the long term, once we have a sustainable platform whether it be on
smartphones, tablets or computers that can deliver audio description and
universal access to all major providers of streaming and downloadable film
content, it will be better for everyone. And just like sharing music, software
and other commercial products, the sharing of audio described films  through
MySpace, torrents et cetera will be frowned upon. Of course, there will always
be people who aren't prepared to pay for content, and I myself have been guilty
of this in the past, however we are to incentivise audio description and
continue to ensure its long-term survival, we need to pay for the content that
we consume so that The studios and the agencies they employ continue to produce
it.

Sent from my iPhone