[access-uk] Re: art exhibitions

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:19:11 +0100

The Whitechapel art gallery in East london have in the past put on
exhibitions specifically aimed visually impaired.  It may well be worth
visiting their website or perhaps give them a call on 020 7522 7857 as they
are by arrangement able to offer tours for visually impaired exhibition
goers.
www.whitechapel.org

Here's a bit from their page concerning accessibility:
      General Information

        The Whitechapel has always been at the forefront of ensuring
accessibility for visitors with visual, hearing and mobility impairments.

      Did you know?
      For the visually impaired a large print copy of the Whitechapel
leaflet and exhibition labels are available from the information desk, and
audio tapes are regularly mailed through the Royal National Institute for
the Blind. We also have 10 staff members trained in visual description
offering tours of the exhibitions, which can be booked in advance or on the
day. Guide dogs can be left at the information desk.

      For hearing impaired visitors our auditorium is equipped with an
induction loop. Whenever possible, Sunday Sightlines talks are given in
either British Sign Language (BSL) or Sign Supported English (SSE) with
translation into spoken English.

      For mobility impaired visitors the galleries are fully accessible via
lift.

      Our Access Guide provides thorough information about the Gallery's
facilities, location, exhibition programme, events and activities, focusing
on access for visitors with disabilities. The text of the access guide can
be read below.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology