[access-uk] anyone on here who knows drupal very well?

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BCAB Discussion List <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 19:20:08 +0000

Hello Everyone.

I've hit a problem which i can't seem to solve, despite searching on countless online forums and hope someone can help. I have been trying to find a responsive, accessible theme for drupal that works well on mobile devices as well as desktop layouts. I've found plenty of themes and tried a few, but i can't seem to make them operate the way i'd like. my current theme layout to a screen reader is as follows. you have the skip to main content link, then the logo, then the main menu, then a search box, then the bread crum, then the main page content. but the current theme which is the default drupal bartik theme is not mobile friendly apparently. so i've been searching for an alternative. whenever i switch to another theme, for example the adaptive theme, the menu stays the same, but the search box and you are here sections are placed below the main page content despite me specifying for them to be above the content area, in other words in the side bar. i'm told that visually the pages look fine, its just how the page is presenting to a screen reader. the BCAB website, (not a criticism), is a prime example. if we take my above example, its like its upside down. you have the main content first, then the search box, then the menus. this could be seen as intuitive depending on your outlook, i personally have never found it intuitive to place the menu last for screen reader use. again interestingly, visually the website looks fine.
so my question is this.
is there an accessible theme for drupal which works out of the box that is also mobile friendly and accessible? so far i've looked at adaptive, zen, genesis, and beauty theme. they're all doing the same thing despite me reordering my blocks. if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it.

thanks for reading,

Mo.