[access-uk] advice please

  • From: "Brian" <brianfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 12:57:54 -0000

Hi all

Mandy and I both have irivers 140 and 340 both have remotes. Whenever I have
tried to the emotes I have ended up without speech on the player; at the moment
all the iriver does is bleep and play music. I presume it is using the original
firmware instead of rocbox. Is there a simple way of getting rockbox back and
is it advisable for totally blind users not to use the remote?

The other help I need is advice on external digital soundcards. I use my Dell
Dimension as an add on to my hifi. Unfortunately it doesn't have an optical or
coax digital output so I am looking for a USB soundcard with good sound quality
which will work with jaws. At present I use a Trust card which cost about £25
with an optical output. To hopefully improve sound quality I bought through
eBay an Audegy 2NX as it had a coax output but have not been able to get it
working properly with jaws the speech is repeated and is distorted; also the
music sounds like a CD skipping. The eBay seller sent me another soundcard
which is no better. I now have 2 which will probably end up back on eBay unless
anyone can advise me what I may be doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian