[access-uk] Re: action for blind people employment officers

  • From: "Eleanor Burke" <eleanorburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 13:18:46 +0100

Thanks a lot for that Barbra. Much appreciated. Indeed the OU told me yesterday that hey could not have a blind student on the Panel as the student they approached knows ab out my case though I must emphasis I have only correspnded with one blind person on the matter and did not give said person much info so all the person knows must have been obtained fro th Internet.

Eleanor
----- Original Message ----- From: "Barbara Wilson" <barkingbabs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barbara Wilson" <barkingbabs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30/07/2009 10:33 pm

Eleanor, this is a very sweeping statement, do you have stats to back it
up?
I know blind people with law degrees.

From: "martin wilsher" <m.wilsher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30/07/2009 8:05 pm

Dear Elenor:

This strikes me as if they do not want a blind student on their books, I
too, had a very similar issue with a college, I was told, you want
accessibility?  Get lost.
From: "martin wilsher" <m.wilsher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30/07/2009 7:34 pm

Elinor, go to your mp with this.  This is, in the face of it, clear
discrinimation.

From: "martin wilsher" <m.wilsher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30/07/2009 6:04 pm

HIBarbra and all.

I am in a similar situation to will, and have gone for job interviews and
also have gone on govt schemes to help get into work.  Now let me relay
aa
few stories.  I went on the new deal for disabled people.  The DEA
basically
threw me at employers and said, the law says you cannot discriminate, so
employ him.  Most employers were enthusiastic until they actually had to
do
soemthing to help me over and above their usual, then they binned me,
after
about three days in one case.  Then I went on another scheme that afbp
told
me was accessible to blind.  Turned out they weren't, and that they were
in
it for the EU money.  I went in dressed in a suit, with laptop, copy of
jaws
on pendrive, for SATOGO and SA weren't known to me then, and with NRA in
hand.  I was first asked, where's your carer, then when I told them I'd
lived on my own for years, they dropped that question. I explained about
jaws for windows, and about what it was.  They wouldn't let me install
it.
In the end, I had to jobsearch with my own computer. They could not even
make the course amterials in accessible format.  About the only thing
this
place did was give me funding to do voluntary work with a riding stable.
Now they were meant to come to the stable to check I was actually doing
the
work, and did they?  No.  They were meant to get in touch with my boss,
but
tdid they?  No.  I spent six mmonths doing my part of the thing, while
they
did nothing.  This was another govt scheme btw, and at one point, they
tried
to claim that giving me an ethernet cable to allow me to connect to their
intrnet was accessibily, and they'd complied with the Dda because of
this.
Hmm, no.  AFBP blew hot air at this company, but that was it.  And yes,
this
was new labour.  I am going for an nvq this september, and I wonder if
AFBP
will help me if I get into trouble with access?   Probably not.

signature
database 4292 (20090730) __________

signature
database 4292 (20090730) __________