[access-uk] Re: [access-uk]Eureka memories

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:43:03 -0000

Hi Ari

Eureka was a Braille organiser that was developed in the 1980s. She had a really quirky Australian accent which many people absolutely hated. But Eureka was a very special lady. She had so much at her disposal that she frankly makes modern note-takers look like toys. She boasted a word processor, separate note-taker, database, telephone directory, diary, calendar, stopwatch, music composer, and a whole host of other things that people wrote for her. The games were all text-based, my personal favourites being Anagrams and Hangman.

At that time, I worked as a Personal Assistant, and I needed a note-taker for taking minutes at child protection case conferences. I tried out Braille 'N' Speak, but I couldn't get to grips with the voice. It just didn't do it for me at all. So when I met George at an exhibition once, and he showed me Eureka, there was no going back. I fell in love with her, and Ian and I adopted her like another member of the house. Wherever we went, she went with us, and we had many many happy years as a family. Even my mum, who was never a techie person by any stretch of the imagination, loved Eureka too. I don't think there could ever be a piece of kit quite like her, she was outstanding for her time in the access technology world, and we pushed her to the very limit.

But Eureka was pre-DOS, so you had to eventually start running a conversion program. I think our lady just lost the will to live some time in the late 90s, purely through constant use and much hilarity.

Anyway I'll shut up about her now.

Jackie
----- Original Message ----- From: "ari" <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>