[access-uk] Re: accessible internet service providers

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 22:44:09 -0000

Since we started using broadband, we've been with the various guises of Freeserve, Wanadoo and Orange, Telewest, and now Sky. With each, we've been able to access the web-based interface where you can check the status of your modem speed, security settings, etc. Our major stumbling block has been knowing which lights are flashing or are not working on the modem. These are usually the first questions you are asked when you get someone on a help desk. Some people react better than others when we've explained there is no sight in the house at the time of calling. I don't think there is a way round this issue, because even the light probes we have haven't helped sufficiently to be sure. In all the cases where we have had to contact a help desk, the problems have been at their end, or have been issues outwith our control. And when it gets too technical, Jackie beats a hasty retreat to make tea, leaving Ian to sort it out (big smile).

Jackie
----- Original Message ----- From: "Georgina" <gena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>