[access-uk] Re: accessible hd or solid state recorders?

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 11:47:05 -0000

Well Simon, I'd say you aren't exactly spoilt for choice if it is a totally
accessible solid
state/HD recorder you are after.

It isn't professional gear, but the PTR2 does a very good job, as you most
likely know, but
it records to CF cards and CD and is pretty portable, well, by my standards.

Steve Nutt thinks highly of the Edirol R09 and he and other users would tell
you how they
negotiate using it as totals. From my standpoint its lack of a monitoring
speaker is a minus
point.

Beyond these two machines, it is down to scanning through the BCT reviews, of
which there
are quite a few.  Neal Ewers is a name that crops up a lot.  He reviews stuff
from the very
exotic to more affordable stuff like the new Zoom recorder.  There is also a
review of the
Fostex FR2 solid state recorder - if you really want to spend that amount of
money!  The
reviewer is also totally blind but gives a good account of how he works with
the machine and
what isn't accessible to him, which is quite a lot.

An unknown  is the new Marantz CDr310  which is an HD/CD portable recorder,
doing wav format
and MP3 at standard 44.1Khz sampling rates.  Balanced Mic inputs etc.  Take a
look at:

http://www.inquitaudio.co.uk/html/news.html

This outfit does, or did do, a sale or return or similar service, but as you'll
see if you
browse about they've had to take stuff back and resell at what looks like a
loss, so I
wonder if they're still offering this service.

HTH.
From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx