[access-uk] Re: accessible dab radio

  • From: David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 11:29:59 +0000

You might have seen there was quite a lot of discussion on the DAB Radio, GMYLE PPM001 RDS DAB-DAB+ Portable Digital Radio and MP3 Player with Card Slot and Built-in Battery Charger available from Amazon.

It certainly knocks spots off the Pure personal radio I bought last year both in terms of accessibility and performance and was available at less than half the price for £32.99.

Even though it obviously does not have speech enabled menus I Personally I think the RNIB should nevertheless attempt to source it and stockpile it as a rare example of a mainstream cheap product usable by blind people. I now know I can set up both DAB and FM Radio functions easily without sight and setting presets is also very easy on both DAB and FM. You can set up to 30 presets on both FM and DAB. The Mp3 Player functionality is for me personally restricted to playing from a single folder of files at the moment as I have not quite got usable instructions from the scan of my manual. Ditto the recording of radio is also not clear to me for the same reason but for radio it is extremely straightforward.

However possibly as a result of the interest on this and other lists the Amazon suppliers have emailed my Sister to say that they have completely sold out because of unprecedented demand and do not know if they will be able to source more. As I say I think the RNIB should encourage future supply.

If you can source one then the Radio capabilities at least are completely usable and possible to use without sighted help including DAB scan and preset functions.

If you can source one and buy it I and others I am sure can provide instructions on using and setting up.

David Griffith

On 08/03/2015 23:31, Chris Miles wrote:
On 08/03/2015 12:49, andyshipp wrote:
Hi Please does anyone know of a accessible dab radio please. I have a problem feeling things so iI hope to find one that has good buttons on, I need it to be portable preferable a pocket size one.
Andy Shipp
home phone 01733 320933
Mobile 07927373036
ham calsign M0CEG
skype andyshipp55
Hi Andy,

I use a Roberts' Sports DAB/FM radio which fits in your pocket. All you have to do is use the wheel to move from one station to another and then press the wheel in to select the station.

It is rechargable from the mains adapter but does not use batteries and has a loudspeaker and headphone socket.

I purchased mine from John Lewis at £64.99.