[access-uk] access re tv's

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "carol.pearson29" for DMARC)
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, john gallagher <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 12:26:48 +0000

Hi John,
I so appreciated your feedback and now would be interested in any discourse you have had with Jackie as to the differences of your two TV models and to learn from you both what you can and cannot do and what you like and do not like so much!
I think people would find it useful and interesting so please keep on list unless a mod says "No". I am not on the BCAB list (though think I'll join soon) so have not included this reply to be sent to them.
Oh, I think you and I both had that brilliant TV card. I used to record often. I don't really get on with the TV-ONICS that well partly because it's with a small TV and we can't get the code so that it works better (easier) with the box. I just want something simple and don't really want a large TV on a wall and there's no room to put one anywhere else. This is why I can't quite give up my search yet. As you say, it would be good if in fact the new Alexa would do this for us! I heard some kind of rumour, but can't remember exactly how the conversation went. Keep me posted, please, if you hear anything. Meantime I'm going to take a little look at various, including the TIVO box used by Virgin with which some people appear to have had a reasonable experience recently.
I have been able to play freeview on my computer and on my phone but that's not enough for me.
Has anyone else got anything to add to this, please?

Carol P

hi carol
i think you asked about tv's on this list if not sorry it must be the bcab list but, this is of interest i think.
i have been doing some digging around with regards to this topic.

so, you could go for the tvonics to do what you want or go for a main stream tv with speech access. in this regard i have looked at these tv's but for the most access you need the 43 inches sony bravia tv's or like jackie has gone for the samsung 40 inches tv. i looked at the 32 inches models and they must run on a different os. the speech is no good at all on the 32 inches ones. i also looked at the panasonic. these are all expensive though. if you listen to the podcast done by jonathan mosen on the blind side podcast he demmo's the sony bravia very well.

now to the pc with regards to the tv's i am not sure if anything exists that would be accesible for us. years back i used to have the nebula set-up where i could record and have channels read out it was great. i have a £16 tv set-up from amazon that i got but you have to change your screen resolution to get it to work and the access is rubbish no way to get ad on or do recordings. so, if you want the best for all this the 43 inches and above will work for you but it's apox £700 for this. it's a bit like using an android tablet.

now with regards to the apps on the phones there's toview on the i devices and it works i think on android but again the access is not that good i cannot find a way to get ad and do recordings on it.

maybe someone on list could help with this but again it's a thing rnib should be pushing for us tv access.

i understand the new amazon echo's are out at the end of october it would be great if this tech could be used to do tv in a much more accessible way for us all. if only we could see a screen eh.
all the best then hope that helps.
** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq