[access-uk] Re: Windows seven V Windows 8 from an Accessibility point of view

  • From: Kevin Cussick <the.big.white.shepherd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 11:31:24 +0100

Hi, I will just add that the refresh feature on window's8 is very nice.

This means that you can get your computer up and running if you have a problem with it. it does delete all your desktop applications, but once it recovers you can reinstall them. I wish it could let you check what you wanted to keep, say Nvda but at least you can get your computer set up again nice clean install with no sited help. I do it all the time because I am daft enough to play around with beta software. I have found this feature very handy. you can even do a full reformat but this will put everything back to how it was no documents and you would have to put your rooter password in again. I find for most things the quick refresh is enough.

On 09/10/2013 23:53, Vanja Sudar wrote:
Hi,

both windows 7 and 8 work pretty well with both Jaws and NVDA. However,
to use jaws with windows 8 it's recommended to use at least jaws 14,
though 15, which is currently in public beta works a lot better.

Windows 7 is in many ways similar to XP/vista, but there are differences
and somewhat of a learning curve. Windows 8 is to a degree quite
radically different and therefore there is much more of a learning phase
and it does take some time to get used to. If you are having issues with
windows 7, then I personally would not recommend 8 as it's even more
different than it's predeccesors. However, if you're willing to learn,
spent some time learning new things and a different environment and up
for a bit of a chalenge, feel free to delve in to the windows 8. If you
already have a coppy of windows 7, it is also possible to downgrade
unless you have an OEM version. Regarding the programs you want to use,
both win 7 and 8 should satisfy your needs.

Whether you want 32 or 64 BIT machine really depends on how fast you
want it to be. A larg number if not majority of new machines on the
market are usually 64BIT, but if you are only using for web, mail and
occasional use of the office, the speed is not upmost important, so even
if you did go for a 32BIT machine it won't do you harm. There may be
small number of software that might not run on 32BIT computers, but
those are usually games and such. On the other hand most 32BIT apps can
run on 64BIT machines, so if you have a decent offer on a 64BIT machine
you've got nothing to lose and it will pretty much guarantee a decent
performance.

HTH

-----Original Message----- From: Carol Pearson
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 4:49 PM
To: Access-UK
Subject: [access-uk] Windows seven V Windows 8 from an Accessibility
point of view

Hi folks,

Thanks for the recent help on backup drives. My Seagate STBU1000201 is
now on order so I can Ensure I have all I need from computers before
discarding at least one; then I'll think about the network drive once
this is done.

First though I need to make an informed choice about whether to stick
with Windows 7 (which I don't know that well and don't particularly
like) or move to Windows 8 I also need to make a choice about 32 or 64
bit alongside my decision for the uprade of computer.

I am needing feedback of the way Jaws and NVDA handles Windows 8. I only
want to use the machine with a computer keyboard and to be able to work
in XL, mail, Itunes (if I must) and perhaps the odd letter in MS Word.

If anyone has worked with Jaws and/or NVDA with Windows 7 and 8, please
tell me what works and does not.

If anyone has specific reasons for moving from 32 bit to 64, or staying
at 32, please let me know.

Hope this isn't too much of a complicated ask.

Thanks as always.

Carol P
Sent from my iPhone using MBraille** To leave the list, click on the
immediately-following link:-