[access-uk] Re: Windows XP validation

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:53:46 +0100

Correct!  Microsoft are already scrapping the Internet
activation in favour of having people call by telephone.

George.

as
> far as I understood it, soon you will have to validate
your
> windows, otherwise you won't be able to download windows
> updates apart from very critical ones.  I might be wrong,
but
> that's how I understood what I read in various PC
magazines,
> newsletters ETC.
> Vanja
> MSN messenger: sudar23@xxxxxxxxxxx
> AIM: vanja121
> Skype: vanja121
> http://www.sudar.co.uk

should
> I want to
> > validate if I suspected I actually had an illegal copy
of
> Windows.  If
> > I knew I had a legal copy why would I want to validete
it
> other than
> > have a self assured smugness confirmed.  Microsoft are
> hoping to catch
> > the very stupid or self satisfied with this game I dunno
which.

> > I downloaded the the Anti-Spyware without validating
there is an
> > option not to do this, my logic being that since I also
own
> a Toshiba
> > laptop which comes with a Windows XP pre-installed
> including recovery
> > CD I didn't need to.  It certainly looked like it would
> take a little
> > while longer to validate than I was prepared to wait.
> >
> > Unless Toshiba are in the habit of dodgy licenses for
> Windows (which I
> > profoundly rather doubt) I think you can usefully skip
it too.

> > Regards.
> >
> > Tristram Llewellyn
> > Sight and Sound Technology
> > Technical Support
> > www.sightandsound.co.uk

Pallett
> > Sent: 27 April 2005 21:21
> > To: Access-UK
> > Subject: [access-uk] Windows XP validation
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Has anyone downloaded Microsoft's anti-spyware program?
It is

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/de
> > fault.mspx
> >
> > I am having problems with the download on my Toshiba
satellite A60
> > laptop running windows XP Home.  You are advised to have

> your windows
> > XP installation validated before download can begin, and

> this is done
> > with a file called GenuineCheck.exe which scans your
> installation and
> > generates a validation code which can either be copied
and
> pasted or
> > typed into the editbox on the page and then you select
the continue
> > button.  when I did this I was told the validation code
was not
> > accepted and more information was required.  I was then
prompted to
> > enter my product key on the installation CD.  this also
was not
> > accepted and further information was asked for, such as
the
> > manufacture of the computer.
> >
> > As I purchased the computer from dolphin I contacted
their support
> > department with details of my problem.  Apart from this,

> everything is
> > fine and the system is fully updated.
> > Any help would be much appreciated.
> > thanks in advance.
> >
> > Best wishes,
> >
> > Clive Pallett
> >

> > ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following
> > link:-
> > **

> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ** and in the Subject line type
> > ** unsubscribe
> > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click
on the
> > ** immediately-following link:-
> > ** or send a message, to
> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:-
faq

> > This Message has been scanned for viruses by McAfee
Groupshield.