[access-uk] Re: Windows 10 Difficulty

  • From: Austin Pinto <austinpinto.xaviers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 15:52:24 +0530

ok.
this is a kind of a long email.
but lets start from the basic.
1. the windows.old is not there cause u went back to windows 7.
2. when installing windows 10 next time the windows.old folder will be there.
3. pressing windows and enter will start narrator no need of going to
windows u and alt n.
4. before u install since u already lost your jaws key uninstall all
products related to jaws. they are not ready for windows 10.
5. if u are upgrading from windows 7 then u should uninstall jaws as
the video intersept driver is no longer used in windows 8.1 and 10.
6. once u install after your computer boots up for the first time u
should have narrator working within 5 to 10 minutes.
7. never reboot your system cause even when the signing in screen
comes some install opperation is done.
8. if u are upgrading from windows 7 u should say this is not you and
signin with a hotmail or outlook account.
this is importent cause the next time u reinstall windows microsoft
will keep track of your activation using this account

On 7/31/15, G. McFarlane <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi to all you Windows 10 intrepids.
I need help.
I, like you, decided to upgrade last night to Windows 10 and have
encounteredd a few problems. Maybe this miight act as a warning, butI fully
intend to try again so hopefully I, and others, can glean any info that can
help.
Like the resst of you, the initial process went well. I listened to data
noises and hard drive movement till it appeared to stop. Unfortunately at
that point I couldn’t get Narrator to work – windows key and u, followed by
alt n did nothinng. I waited about an hour and fortunately my 6 year old
granddaughter woke up at 3.30 in the morning. I ascertained from her that
the screen was the Windows 10 hello screen. It appeared to be asking if I
was the User (i’m assuming the username of my Window 7 machine) I had the
option to say I wasn’t by ticking the box or continuing. At this point
however nothing worked, so I rebooted, got to the same screen and continued
acknowledging I was the User. Next screens askked if I wanted to set up
personal things eg. video, music etc. I let it do it itself. When I got into
the desktop I was surprised to find I wasn’t asked for my windows password
to access the Windows store as I thought this was a main part of the reason
for the Microsoft upgrade.

This is where things really began to go wrong. I had to install/repair Jaws
3 times before it worked. I was finding I couldn’t use the startmenu and
search function. It always seemed to come up with Courtana. Horror of
horrors, Jaws then asked for an activation code. It had lost my key.
I phoned ssight and sound and they’re dealing with it.
With sighted help now, I discovered that after a reboot most programmes will
work – Windows llive mail, Microsoft Office 10. But when trying to close
them they hang and need a reboot. If I manage to get the programmes to
close, the next load of a relevant file, like another word document, just
hangs the programme, thus needing a reboot of the PC.
Unimpressed, but aware I might have done something wrong, and being willing
to try again, that’s why I’m detailing my experience.
Later I went into Setting, chose the security option, then reverted the PC
back to Windows 7 – after installing Windows 10 you get 30 days to do this
if you don’t like it. It didn’t take too long, but I’ve still lost my jaws
key. Before I install another key I would like to get Window 10 working.
Can anyone see where I might have gone wrong. Should I have said I wasnt’
the Old user so it could get Windows store working etc. Should i have
personalised it more. I probably shouldn’t have rebooted but it did take me
back to the same screen.
To me, the things I was seeing seemed like Windows 10 wasn’t fully
installed. Or was it just the case that Live mail and Office 10 should have
been reinstalled to stop the crashing.
My final point is that now the ‘Windows Old’ directory which waas created to
allow the restore fromWinndows 10 is no longer there. Can anyone see why I
shouldn’t try to upgrade again?
Thanks for reading this. I’m excited by Windows 10 and want to get it
working. This is not a warning to avoid it but to find a way through the
problems to good working properly.
Gordon McFarlane