[access-uk] Re: WindowEyes V Jaws

  • From: Doris and Chris <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:23:38 -0400

For this kind of portable use, nvda is realy the best and it has come so far that it might just do all you need it to do.

hth

Doris

At 09:46 PM 10/24/2012 +0200, you wrote:
Hi Steve
Can I please ask you, how good actually is Supernova Screen reader and
how does their activation policy work? Not really ignoring it, but
yes, what I do hate about jaws is, for example, I'm going to do some
voluntary work for eith a development or a legal NGO for a few weeks.
I want to do more with the NGO sector in my country and, because its
voluntary work and these ngos don't have much resources I have to make
my own plans about screenreaders anyway. Just because I have to use
someone else's system and bring my own jaws I have to use an
activation key (demo is not an option, can you imagine on a job having
to reboot every 30 minutes, mad). Then, because you have to use a key,
you have to justify yourself to fs to reset your keys. Not to mention
the even worse jaws feature (don't know if it still exists) the pro
version and standard version. I'm terrified my jaws won't work on the
computer I have to use anyway. Dolphin says they will give me 33%
discount if I trade in my jaws. I would go for that if SN is good, or
if their activation policy is different, or maybe I will try the pen
route, don't really know the difference between the pen and cd
version. I'm going to try the demo, but would be good to hear user
feedback. My other option is, here in South Africa we have a version
called the Sight Savers pen, but despite many emails to dolphin
support I still haven't got an answer, I know the cheap pen is a cut
down version of the full pen, but I want to know in what ways. Am
basically trying to find a propper solution here.
 Instead of SN, how good would NVDA be with programs like excel and
outlook? I know you could put it on a pen, but I feel quite scared
that they will ask me to do something, nvda won't be up to the job
then I'll look really embarrassed (this would look awful and
unfortunately organisations are still very weary of hiring blind
people, so don't want to take the risk and, even though its voluntary
work, want to make a good impression) I've sort of played with nvda,
but never really gotten into it, I also hate the speech.
Like you say, the reason I don't do the WE is to me it does seem
unfair. Not really about the activation, I wouldn't mind so much if
everyone had it, but the fact that they have some sort of hierarchy,
like people in US, UK and Australia are trusted, so no activation or
protection, people in other countries aren't. I know of course they're
entitled to do that if that's what they want, and I probably would
admit that piracy occurs in the third world etc, but I don't want to
buy from a company who operates like that.
Ari