[access-uk] Wifi again

  • From: "Jim Williams" <jwuspaceman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCAB Discussion List" <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 12:43:59 -0000

Hi lists,

Apologies for cross posting again.

Despite having a Wifi extender fitted by an RNIB computer volunteer, I am still
suffering drop outs on my Sonata Plus radio.

I have a Virgin Media super hub and I want to see if I can get a better
quality, improved performance router.  I went to my local computer shop who are
usually very good with their advice, to ask a couple of questions.

1  A recommendation for a better router than I have at present, supplied by
Virgin Media.  I was told that I would have to stick with VM as their routers
have a special mains cable connection.  True?

2 As my current router is plugged into an extention lead I was looking for a
mains lead for the router with a cable length of about 3 metres so that it will
reach a spare wall socket.  Once again, in the shop, I was told that the
longest mains router lead is About 1.5 metres long.  If this is true then I
will have to ask VM to come and extend the cable to the other side of the room
so that the power lead will reach the wall socket.

Just one other small point that may shed light on this problem, even if I hold
my 2nd VRS next to the router it tells me that internet reception quality is
poor.
Any alternative advice or suggestions warmly welcomed.

Jim Williams