[access-uk] Re: Why can't I get Internet Download Manager to show an icon on the desktop?

  • From: "Kevin Lloyd" <kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:07:44 -0000

Hi Alexander.

There is no technical reason why you couldn't create a shortcut to any program and so this should be no exception.

I've got a bit lost with the various steps you've tried below so maybe you could just confirm whether there is already a shortcut in the programs menu first of all.

So, if you use windows explorer and go to documents and settings, userid, start menu, programs; do you see an entry in the programs folder for the internet download manager. You may nee to look at the properties to check that it is definitely a shortcut and not an application .exe or folder.

If you have a shortcut in the programs folder, then try again to copy it and then hit backspace until you land on the desktop where you can paste the shortcut.

The programs folder referred to above is not the programme files folder so please don't be confused by this. It is the programs folder that is found in documents and settings, userid, start menu. It's basically what provides the programs menu when you hit control + escape but easier to copy and edit when you access it through windows explorer.

If you don't have the shortcut in the programs menu then you will need to create a shortcut. I'll leave that for a separate e-mail if you confirm that you don't currently have a shortcut in the programs menu.

Regards.
Kevin Lloyd