[access-uk] Re: Which is more accessible? Openoffice or Libreoffice?

  • From: Michael A Ray <mike.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 21:33:02 +0000

I'm not bothered about how old IBM Lotus Symphony is. It works for me. It aint broke so I don't try to fix it.

I like being productive instead of spending time fighting with or learning new interfaces or features.

Microsoft office products seem to have the same disease as Tesco. As soon as I learn where everything is, they move it.

I tried both Open Office and Libra Office and the accessibility failed miserably. Admittedly it was a while ago so it may have improved.

I use NVDA and would rather use a zero cost solution than pay a couple of hundred quid for another tool and have to spend a thousand on a commercial screen-reader to use it.

On 03/11/2013 21:11, Kevin Cussick wrote:
this software is very old now and out of date and it has been discontinued. the new open office stuff will replace it and it will be good but at this time I wouldn't use it on a main machine.

On 03/11/2013 14:57, Michael A Ray wrote:
Hello Mo,

Just to further complicate your options, have you thought about IBM
Lotus Symphony?  I use it on Win 7 and I find it totally accessible.

Mike

On 03/11/2013 13:19, Mobeen Iqbal wrote:
Hello Everyone.

I wanted to switch to a free office suite, and the 2 that came to mind
were either openoffice or libreoffice. Both are supposed to be
accessible if using the java access bridge. i was just wondering if
people had any experience in using them? and which one i should download?

many thanks in advance,

Mo.

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

Ham Radio Call-sign: G4XBF, licensed since 1982

Don't just sit there, learn something

Raspberry VI:
http://www.raspberryvi.org/
NVDA, the best free screen-reader in the world:
http://www.nvda-project.org/