[access-uk] Re: What to do with 3.5 Floppy Disks

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:26:47 -0000

Hi Carol.

You can destroy them if you don't want people accessing them if they fall in to the wrong hands. Below are some instructions on doing this effectively.

Firstly, over a bin or similar container remove the protective metal slider that covers the disk surface. You can do this by bending then pulling the slider away from the plastic disk casing. Secondly, taking one corner of the disk, twist the plastic until it breaks, then pull the two halves of the casing apart until they come away from each other. Finally, take the circular floppy plastic material from between the plastic casing of the disk which contains the data, remove the circular metal spindle and cut up with scissors or put through a shredder if you have one.

I hope this helps you and if you need to know more or require specific help, please feel free to get in touch.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 10:13 AM
Subject: [access-uk] What to do with 3.5 Floppy Disks

Hi all,

People still send me information on floppies and they mount up and up as I often cannot return the disks, or they don't want them. Bearing in mind that software can often undo a reformat and that these disks often contain personal data, what would you suggest I can usefully do with them that would also be safe?

--
Carol
carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx