[access-uk] Re: Web design

  • From: "Ankers, Dave (UK)" <Dave.Ankers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:29:57 +0100

Hi Léonie,

I fully agree with you, when I select a link called "Create a new incident"
call me old fashioned, but I expect that link to perform just that!
Unfortunately there are those who believe we aren't capable of searching or
asking colleagues for help before seeking help from the support team, and don't
realise, that by making the system even more infuriating to use, they diminish
our opinion of them even further.

Regards

Dave Ankers

Dave,

        The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) obliges organisations to ensure
their services, including websites, are accessible. In this case though, the
problem you've described seems to be more usability than accessibility focused.

        The two/three click recommendation is often disputed. It depends very
much on the type of website and the volume of information available on the
site. That said, usability is all about making things more user friendly, so
the notion of being required to complete five searches before opening a new
incident, is a usability problem for a number of reasons.

        Firstly, the website fails to inform the user that this is the expected
process. The upshot is that the link appears broken and people get confused. An
initial short term step would be for the website to provide more/better
information about the process they've chosen to implement. Using clear link
text and supporting information for example.

        Secondly, the process itself is counter intuitive. There are many
reasons why forcing someone to make five searches before opening a new incident
is going to be troublesome. For example, a person may have extensively searched
the database previously, then only returned to the site with the intention of
opening a new incident.

        I'm presuming that the system is intended to prevent people from
opening a new incident, without bothering to look properly through the database
beforehand. A longer term solution that meets the needs of both users and
technical staff would be to remove the five searches requirement and replace it
with a more integrated solution.

        For example, when a new case is opened on XYZ, the database could
automatically be searched for that topic as the new incident form is submitted.
If any possible solutions are located within the database, these could be
presented to the user. The user then has the option of selecting a possible
solution or continuing to submit the new incident form.
Effectively, a search of the database is enforced, but it's done as part of the
submission process. The upshot is that the process should be a lot more simple.

Léonie.