[access-uk] Web Access, may be of interest!

  • From: "Mike Moore" <mikeis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 21:35:42 -0000

Hello all,

Here is something below, that may be of interest, given recent past postings!!

Can you help FAST make the Web more usable for everyone? With the Web now being
available on desktop computers, mobile phones and even TVs, it is more
important than ever that Web sites are created so that they are accessible for
everyone, including older people and people with disabilities.

The "Inclusive Futures – Internet Web Services" Project (i2Web) is looking for
people to help us in evaluating a range of new Websites and services to better
understand the accessibility barriers they could introduce.   We are interested
in how you surf the Web, what types of things do you do on the Web, and when
you encounter something that is difficult, how do you try and work around the
problem to find the information you need. We are definitely not testing your
ability to surf the Web, we are interested in how clearly Websites present
things to real people.

Specifically, we are looking for:

•  People over 60

or

• People who are partially sighted and who are experienced using a screenreader
or screen magnifier to surf the Web • People who are Deaf or hard of hearing •
People who are restricted in the range of movements they can undertake on
keyboards, remote controls or mobile phones and/or use an assistive technology
to work with these devices

If you fit into one of these groups, are over 18 and would like to participate
please contact Sam Collin  at the Foundation for Assistive Technology (FAST) on
0300 330 1430 or sam@xxxxxxxxxx

We will contact you as soon as possible to set up a short phone interview
regarding your Web experience and technology preferences.  If selected you will
be invited to our evaluation suite in Tower Hill, London, or we will arrange to
meet you at a convenient venue, to work with a variety of different
technologies and websites for approximately two hours.  Your travel expenses
will be reimbursed and we will offer you a gift voucher for £30, because your
input and feedback are important to us, and your time is valuable!

This will take place in March or April.

If you have any questions, please contact sam@xxxxxxxxxxx   If you would like