[access-uk] Re: Wayfinder System

  • From: John Ramm <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 09:28:57 +0100

Hi David

This is an interesting question.

First of all, Wayfinder as an app is not based on GPS but on localised Bluetooth devices and so is great for indoor navigation as well as for getting around open spaces. The Royal London Society for the Blind are championing this technology through their youth forum so you might get better comments if you can contact them as they are actually using it in areas of London such as transport terminals and tube stations I believe. I'm pretty keen to try it out myself, but haven't done so yet.

but in general I think I agree with others on the list that GPS is not better than tactile ways of finding your way around. The caviat to this is that blind people need to know what the tactile markes mean. If I'm looking for a bridge and I follow a tactile marker for a green area with benches, for example, because no one has told me what markers represent then I'm no better off than I was before. I also imagine that installing some Bluetooth receivers is a great deal cheaper than tactile markers in a large area and that will probably be what your committee is interested in to some extent.

I believe that there is a real need for some new form of accurate navigation method for indoor areas and for outdoor areas not covered by GPS location such as Centre Parks holiday resorts where there are plenty of good paths, but no way for a blind person to identify where they are within that complex network.

I hope this is helpful, John Ramm