[access-uk] Re: WEB CAPTURES

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:07:17 +0100

Well, I'm still somewhat confused ... What stops me, once I've used my "capture" successfully, from then looking up all these codes? OK, I may only be permitted so many at a time ... but where does the capture code come into play here? I just somehow can't connect the two processes of signing up with your details and then using the capture. (Sorry to be so dim about this ...)

--
Carol
carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:46 AM (UK time), George Bell at george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said:

They are there to prevent web-bots (Web based robots) signing up
automatically.

For example, let's take Royal Mail's Post Code Finder.

You are an unscrupulous marketing company, and have found a good buyer
at number 205 Gigglesprocket Street in Upmarket Town.  Stands to
reason that there might be other potential buyers in the same street,
and you want to send them all a mail shot.

However, first you need a valid Post Code, since your reduced price,
bulk mail, Royal Mail postal contract demands this.  And second, you
want to make sure that you don't waste postage sending to non-existent
numbers, since it is highly possible that a developer has demolished a
number of houses, and built a whacking great shopping centre in the
middle somewhere.

So, you get your (illegal) software to go to Royal Mail's web site,
and one by one automatically look up the Post Codes for say numbers 1
to 500 Gigglesprocket Street, and list all the valid addresses.

But while Royal Mail don't mind you and I looking up the occasional
Post Code, they sure as heck don't want commercial companies looking
up hundreds a day for free, especially when they sell the service on a
profit making basis.

So in steps the Captcha, designed in such a way as to make it a
difficult as possible for even an OCR process to identify, but
hopefully clear enough for a sighted human being to read and copy.  Of
course one can potentially add a speech option for people, but then
speech recognition software potentially means you have to distort the
sound in some way, yet still make it identifiable by the human ear.

Hope this gives you some idea of why this process is used.

George.