[access-uk] Re: WAG GUIDELINES HELP NEEDED in MY DISPUTE WITH SAINSBURY'S BANK

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 22:29:01 +0100

Richard,

    There are three levels of accessibility under the Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 1.0). Single-A is the most basic level,
DoubleA the intermediate level and Triple-A the highest level of
accessibility.

    WCAG are the globally recognised framework for building accessible
websites and the benchmark for measuring wweb accessibility.

    The DDA doesn't reference WCAG, nor does it define a specific target for
web accessibility. Government have given the public sector a target of
Double-A accessibility to aim for, but no such target exists for the
private sector.

    For any major online website to have achieved Single-A throughout their
entire site would still be extremely remarkable. That said, most
accessibility experts would recommend aiming for Double-A accessibility as a
minimum.

    I couldn't access the link you sent across, but if you'd like to send it
again, I'd be happy to take a look.

Regards,
Léonie.

  _____