[access-uk] Re: Vista, think again

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 17:04:38 -0000

I read this over Christmas and it is very interesting, but I wasn't going to
post that to the list as some of the scenarios described are quite specific and
non-everyday in nature or relate to the imposition of future technologies like
Blu-Ray.  Whilst these things are coming I don't think (as cited in the
article) that many consumers typically shove audio through an SP/DIF interface
out to their computer speakers to here SACD, anybody who wants that has an SACD
player and some really good hi-fi kit costing some thousands.  However by the
same token I cannot imagine why bother disabling it would be necessary because:
 a) with SP/DIF you would need to do this in real-time to another recorder
device similarly capable.  Both time required and hardware needed would be of
sufficient deterrant to the casual pirate.  b) In a world where MP3 (a lossy
format) is regarded by the vast majority of the population to be perfectly good
enough quality not to be able to tell it from CD, high definition audio is of
no consequence anyway.
The bigger issues comes with future Blu-Ray DVD techologies, management of
msuic and video media as part of an entertainment hub vs. Microsoft positioning
themselves as gatekeepers to premium content as part of a future business
model.  My guess is that if the author is right about the effects of the
technologies employed are anything close to what he states then this tactic
will backfire spectacularly on Microsoft and the Hollywood film industry retail
business.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology