[access-uk] Re: Vista delaying adopting

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:57:51 -0000

A couple of replies here:
"By the by, it would be nice if anyone around here who is using the latest
Apples with OS X and the screen reader would report on progress."

There hasn't been any since VoiceOver was first posted, and there won't be any
until Leopard (10.5), iTunes despite being version 7.0 is still innaccessible.
Leopard is not a free update for 10.4 users, it will be chargeable.

You will need a PC that incorporates the TPM hardware chip module to use the
BitLocker system, and I think that is not available under the Home Edition
VISTA titles.  This chip will also allow content providers to control what is
run on your PC a la DRM.

There is a big cash difference between Home Premium and Ultimiate Edition, I
don't know what the pricing is but it's likely to be more than a few pennies
methinks.

Driver signing will be compulsory on 64bit Windows, whilst 32bit will still be
able to accept non-signed drivers on the same basis as happens now with a
warning.  Previously driver signing has been voluntary and as such most
manufacturers have not done it.  It is possible that for older hardware
manufacturers take a financial decision whether to continue supporting that
product as this is a certification process with Microsoft and it will cost them
money to do it.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

  From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
  Of Dj Paddy

  Hi Ray.

  I'm security minded.

  One of the big selling points for me for Vista is running as a non-admin.
  You can do this in XP but you have to log in and out of an admin account to
  install programs that need admin access rights.

  Vista I believe allows you to do this on the fly by presenting you with a
  dialog where you can enter the admin password.

  I'm also interested in the bitlocked feature that encrypts your drives.
  Sure
  you can get third party apps to do this, but why would you want to if the OS
  already has it built in?

  Another security feature I like is the Address Space Layout Randomizer.

  On a performance note.

  I like the new instant search, and I'm planning on getting a drive when I
  can aford one that will take advantage of Windows ReadyDrive.

  I've 4GB of DDR3 Corse Air RAM but if I didn't I think the Windows
  ReadyBoost would be another feature I'd really enjoy.

  Windows SuperFetch is another improvement to increase program startup times.

  I've grabbed a quote from Paul Thurrott Re: the comments on hardware
  requirements.  There seems to be a lot of speculation and confusiona bout
  this.  If anyone doubts this guys authority to comment just google him.

  "On reasonably modern hardware, you'll find that Windows Vista runs just
  fine, thank you very much, and it's likely that most people won't notice any
  performance
  differences, when compared with XP, at all. On new PCs, of course, this
  won't be an issue, and Windows Vista will run like the proverbial greased
  pig.
  Much has been made of Vista's supposedly heady hardware requirements, but
  unless your current PC could serve as a prop on an episode of "The
  Flintstones,"
  you shouldn't have anything to worry about."

  Guys remember that spec requirements aren't always what their made out to
  be.  It depends what you are doing with your OS.  The area I can't comment
  on is graphics cards as there is a few well alot of concerns floating about
  on this.  I take Georges comments as he's been on the beta team and of
  course there are going to be hardware issues.  People I talk to about
  hardware to keep saying that the manufacturers still need to release more
  drivers.

  I also like the sound of the reliability of Vista, admittedly it hasn't been
  tested in real-world scenarios enough but I have found XP alot more stable
  than previous OS's.  Vista bosts how from a very low-level it has a much
  more stable platform.

  If I'm asked to pick one compelling reason for upgrading to Vista I can't.
  It's a combination of features that sell me.

  Thinking back I can't pick one reason why I upgraded to XP, other than
  because it was new and as a young guy at Uni studying Computer Science I try
  and make it my business to get exposure to the latest software as much as
  possible.

  I don't believe that anyone should have a system that ridiculously goes
  beyond what they need and would not suggest to my mother or father that they
  should upgrade to Vista ASAP.  Especially as I'll end up supporting them!

  Barry

  Ôà