[access-uk] Vista Start up Problem

  • From: Douglas Harrison <harrison1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 17:01:46 -0000

Sorry to reply to my own message, but I decided to try the easy option (not
the Recommended one) and it worked.  The machine now boots normally.

Why Windows made such a fuss when there was nothing really wrong, I
don't know.  Might be useful to someone else in the future, though.

Again, apologies for wasting anyone else's time.

Thanks,

Douglas

On 1 Jan 2009 at 12:05, access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am afraid that I have made a bad start to the New Year - now I cannot
> get my main (Vista) machine to boot up at all.
>
> I know what caused the problem.  I had connected a USB floppy drive to
> check what was on some old floppies, and absent mindedly re-booted the
> machine with a floppy still in the drive.  I realised my mistake and
> rapidly removed the disk, but too late!  Windows must have been trying to
> boot from it and as a result seems to have been damaged.
>
> When I try to boot now I am told that I am being given the choice of
> Launching Start Up repair or "Start Windows Normally" - the former is
> highlighted and marked Recommended.
>
> I am tempted to try first highlighting  the start Windows normally and see
> what happens, but I am a little out of my depth here.
>
> Any advice from an expert would be much appreciated.
>
> Douglas

Douglas Harrison