[access-uk] Re: VisionAid ReadEasy 2

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 22:07:22 +0000

Hi mike.

Ok, hold off buying it until we've had a chat.

cheers,

MO.

On 19/11/2012 21:59, Michael A. Ray wrote:
Hello Mo

I think you've just saved me £500. Someone in Surrey is selling a VisionAid ReadEasy 2. I just had a look at the VisionAid site and I can't see any mention of it saving text files.

Call me tomorrow if you can, I should be here all day. I want to talk about Vinux and have a rant about something concerning the local VI support group and access software costs. Got a few ideas to kick around.

Mike

On 19/11/2012 21:51, Mobeen Iqbal wrote:
Hi Mike.

Yes, i have used these machines in the past. they're not bad, but
kurzweil, docuscan plus  or omnipage on a pc would do a similar job.
they're only useful if you want a portable sollution, though you're
still carrying around an extra laptop bag for it. Also, although the
units run on windows and fast hardware, when it comes to repairing them
its not just a case of reinstalling windows as i found out. you have to
try and get hold of a copy of the software which they've had programmed
specifically for the units, and understandably they're not willing to
just send you a copy for your unit. you'd have to send it back to them
at your own cost if out of warranty. I meant to give you a call today, i
do appologise i've not been able to do so. Hopefully i'll give you a
call tomorrow. Also, you could just by docuscan plus made by serotek.
Its a lot less expensive, £188 as a 1 off fee unless you have to pay for
an engine upgrade. you can use it on any machine, and requires no
installation though obviously you can install a local copy. it runs via
your web browser and allows scanning and reading the document, saving,
emailing, etc. its definitely worth a look.

www.serotek.com

Mo.

On 19/11/2012 21:31, Michael A. Ray wrote:
Hello list

Does anyone on the list own one of these, or has anyone used one?

What's your experience of it?  Is it more effective than a PC based
OCR solution?

Mike