[access-uk] Re: Views on Window-Eyes 9 Beta 2

  • From: "Whizza" <whizza8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 17:08:53 -0000

Hi Steve,
I have to agree with the previous poster here. So far, I've uninstalled both betas. It's one thing to work well on the web, but what about the little things that are just so annoying. The F8 selection method doesn't work well for me, especially if I'm only selecting one line of text. Far too many keystrokes. And why dispense with the shift arrow method of text selection which is, after all, a standard Windows command. If I use the N key, for instance, to go to the first line of text on a web page, I have to press the key twice; once to silence the speech and once to land on the first line of text. I keep hearing the word window, and also the words client area window if I switch tasks with alt tad. Every time I move to a different folder in my e-mail client I hear something like, alt space, system, close. Goodness knows where all these extra words are coming from but they are intensely annoying. I don't like edit instead of edit box and if I thought about it, there are probably other insignificant but annoying things I just don't like and which haven't been present before. Also, it seemed the longer I used it, the more sluggish it became until, if I tried to tab through the links on a web page, Window-Eyes just couldn't keep up and was about four links behind me. Then there's the issue with Audible. I'm trying to download a book and Window-Eyes reports I'm at 62 per cent when the book has actually finished downloading. I know that because Audible Manager opens. Then my machine freezes. Window-Eyes is stuck on reporting the 62 per cent and I can't do anything with it. I can't close down Audible, I can't kill Window-Eyes and the only thing I can do to get things back to normal is reboot. Both betas have been a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping to upgrade as soon as it was released but as it stands at the moment, I just can't. I'd end up throwing the computer out of the window! Maybe they've concentrated too much on web support and introduced bugs and annoyances which, although pointed out on the G W Info list, have not as yet been fixed. Oh well, sorry about the long post but you did ask for more information from Matt.

Cheers,
Sandra.