[access-uk] Re: VISTA and recording with GoldWave

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:45:01 +0100

A few of things:

1) As far as I know the so called "what you hear" thing on soundcards is
a hardware feature, most specifically of the SoundBlaster range of
soundcards.  There are probably others that also will do the same sort
of trick.  What is required is some spare DSP power that can be used to
make what is effectively a smalll internal mixer in the soundcard that
allows it to route streams back into the input for you to record in
similar manner that you could using an external mixer.  Not all
soundcards have this and the one on my laptop doesn't have this feature
either, but I am very sure it would not have done so even under Windows
XP.

2) Recording of streams has not been specifically disabled in VISTA for
copyright reasons.  There is some DRM built into VISTA for sure but it
isn't meant to stop you recording streams.  The bulk or DRM is aimed
either at stopping people pirating blue ray movies, or rights management
to do with documents and other kinds of files used in a business context
in conjunction with Trusted Platform Module chipset.

3) The Mac is no different from PC here, your standard Mac has a quite
average kind of soundcard in it much the same as the majority of PCs
have.  By default the Mac does NOT allow you to record streams using
only software provided by the OS X which I can state quite
categorically.  You can (rather like in Windows) find third party
software that inserts a driver into the system to allow you to capture
audio rather in the same way that screen readers have video interceptors
to capture display info.  On the Mac there is a relatively innexpensive
utility called Wiretap Pro which does this which I have used.  On the
Windows front there is Total Recorder by High Criteria software.  I am
not sure how VISTA complient this software is because I couldn't get it
to record JAWS or anything playing through the soundcard in VISTA this
morning, but I haven't tried very hard and Microsoft have completetly
redesigned the audio internals of Windows VISTA so it may appear to a
user that they are somehow specifically trying to make your life
difficult, but I am at least 95 percent sure that is not the case.
However at present I cannot suggest another solution to knowing for sure
unless somebody pops up using VISTA with something like a Soundblaster
type card and can confim they can record streams..

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical Support