[access-uk] Re: VISTA Re-Visited

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 17:02:36 -0000

I think the crucial queston would be does it work with your existing
software that you are presently happy with or would you need to upgrade
it.  JAWS 9.0 itself works fine on VISTA and reads the interface without
any extensive modifications a la JAWS 4.02 under the original XP Home.
You may need to upgrade the CD writing package though as usually the
earlier versions will not function properly under VISTA.

Likewise any hardware you are going to attach must have VISTA drivers so
you may need to research that to be sure that your transition to VISTA
is not an unpleasant one.   The VISTA upgrade advisor software can help
with this.

This will be one of those judgement things but if it looks like you
would have to update a lot of software or hardware then you might
consider going to Media Centre or XP Home route.  I think any XP with
service pack three when it is released willl be pretty solid and will be
a workable solution for the time being if you really needed it to be.
However going the XP route does mean that if you choose to upgrade
software in the future you may come up against issues in the future for
which there will be no forthcoming fix, or the otherway around the
software you intend to use is less functional on XP or Media Centre than
on VISTA in some important way.

I agree with Jackie's narrative that VISTA can be a reasonably easy
going housemate.  The trick is not to expect it to deal with antiquated
hardware or software and be prepared to take it on its merrits and
forgive it for not be like your old friend XP.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical Support