[access-uk] Re: VAT exemption on VoiceOver products

  • From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 16:00:03 -0000

Hi,

This is not strictly true.

If the supplier installs a screen reader to a PC, then the CPU part of the
PC is also VAT exempt.  Not the screen or the keyboard if they are external,
but just the CPU.  If it is a laptop then the whole thing can be exempted
provided that a screen reader is installed before despatch.

VoiceOver on the other hand is part of the operating system, as Narrator is
to Windows, and so cannot be exempted.

This is what HMRC advised me.

All the best

Steve