[access-uk] Re: Update on TVonics box for info

  • From: "Eleanor Burke" <eleanorburke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 10:59:54 +0100

Worth the £25 then Jackie, sounds cheap price for alll that work, good chaps! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jackie Cairns" <jackie.cairnsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:08 AM
Subject: [access-uk] Update on TVonics box for info

Following on from my messages to the list yesterday, indicating we had
received our box but were experiencing problems in getting it to talk, we
are now practically sorted. I got the chap out who sold us our TV, and the
two men who deal with installation of aerials etc were really helpful with
me.

Firstly, they set up the box and got it to find all the stations on offer,
then went into the menu and got it to speak as it wasn't doing that during
the installation process for some odd reason.  The HDMI cable that comes
with the box can fit into your TV and TVonics box using either end.

Having done the setting up, the guys couldn't believe what the box did with
speech, and were obviously gob-smacked to put it mildly.  But we then came
to the problem of being able to go from the new talking box to my Sky
DigiBox and back again. There is a button on the TVonics that, when pressed
repeatedly, allows you to eventually get to where you need to be.  It
doesn't talk as you keep pressing it, but it is a bit fiddly to go from HDMI
to Sky which is plugged in via SCART.  They are going to pop back with a
SCART to SCART lead and try that between the new box and the TV to see if
switching between TVonics and my Sky box will be easier for me.  It is
doable as things stand, but because the TV itself has built-in Freeview, you
need to make sure where you are as you press the button to go through all
the AV and HDMI settings to get to where you want to be.

I will now have to concentrate on reading the manual to familiarise myself
with everything the box does, but at least it is up and running.  I turned
on Audio Description, but didn't get any on Ulster when watching Emmerdale
and Coronation Street, which is why I use my Sky box on channel 993 for this
purpose.

So, in summary, it wasn't straightforward to plug the box in for me and get
it going, and am glad I paid our guys to come out and give me a hand.  I
suspect people who don't have Freeview televisions with HDMI and all that
caper will probably have a more straightforward experience?

Thanks for all help on and off list, however, it has been greatly
appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns