[access-uk] Re: Unified English Braille (UEB) was: Trust me with your change

  • From: "Dave Taylor" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 15:34:04 +0100

Hi, well I can't comment on your lack of consultation, but that's one thing
we really should get right this time, I hope! As for many contractions
disappearing, well many is subjective, and the way we use the word in the UK
certainly would mislead people into thinking it's a bigger change than it
is. But frankly, our comfortable little world where we all communicated with
other blind people by letter and tuned pianos, weaved baskets, or answered
phones has gone, and we do now need to live in the mainstream world and
understand what is going on in it! Too many of us are out of work and UEB
will at least help us understand some of the presentation that goes on in
the sighted world. Lack of awareness of this, well, presentation, layout and
appearance in general, is one of the biggest obstacles for many blind
people, but they don't realise it! I might suggest being told what print
symbols are appropriate for us to know about is like being told we must sit
in a certain chair and pushed at it! And the level of discrimination and
lack of accessible information is still criminal, and we must do what we can
to help ourselves, by giving people a system that is easy to produce,
reproduce, convert back into print for those who work with notetakers etc,
as well as clear to read in increasingly hostile and complex times! And with
the technology we now have, UEB is going to become increasingly necesary as
time goes by.

Anyway, for South Africa, what would be best? Two sets of maths and computer
braille to learn or one? People need to know that South Africa receives a
large amount of its braille from both the UK and America, so has to contend
with both systems, though if I remember rightly, the code is much more like
ours than the American one, and ours is the best of the old codes by a very
long way.

Cheers
Dave