[access-uk] Re: Unified English Braille (UEB) A QUESTION

  • From: "Dave Taylor" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 08:36:27 +0100

Richard and all,

This code has been under development for so long that actually the
development is largely done and translation software either is, in some
cases, or is almost, in a couple of others, ready now. The fact is that UEB
would make it much easier to braille maths, computer and science books right
out of the box. This means, for instance, that a student would be much more
likely to be able to make readable braille out of much more technical hand
outs, a school pupil would get access to much more material, and other books
would need a lot less proof reading, due to the way the rules are
formulated. All this means that most braille books and materials would be
quicker and cheaper to produce, which means dear old RNIB can be expected to
up the amount they make available. So, as far as i see it, even if you never
come across any non literary braille, this last point actually improves the
situation for you in the short term if the code is adopted.

The other impact is it would be much harder to produce bad, unreadable
braille, so hopefully small and independent producers and those doing work
for companies, would be sending out much better braille than they sometimes
do now!

Cheers
Dave