[access-uk] Re: Ultracane! Do I have a possible collectors item here?

  • From: "Ankers, Dave (UK)" <Dave.Ankers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:33:45 +0100

Hi Jackie,

Oh dear, you know me so well, lol

Something else that has been on the TV recently, which made me think,
"If only I had one of those" was basically a mechanical  skeletal suit.
Just program the thing to take you where you wish to go.  No one would
argue with one of those.

Another option, which I'm sure fans of Wallace and grommet will
remember, is a pair of the "Wrong Trousers".

Now some might think, that's daft, but one day it may become reality!
just wish they would hurry up developing the bionic eye!

Cheers

Dave Ankers

Dave Ankers, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist a comment (chuckle).

My experience, in all seriousness, was that it didn't work that well for
me with up kerbs.  I found it interesting that passing cars registered
some vibration as I walked along a pavement close to the edge of the
kerb, but it didn't do much for me.  I found the handle bulky, and had
to readjust my thumb to hold it over the two buttons giving off the
vibrations.  I thought it was vastly overpriced too.  But some people do
get results from it, so good on them.  Just not for me, though an
interesting gadget to play about with (big smile).

Jackie Cairns
 Braille Support Adviser
 Email: Jackie.Cairns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing  Summerhouse Road  Moulton Park  Northampton
 NN3 6WD
 Telephone: 01604 798024
 Fax: 01604 798090
 Web: www.sightandsound.co.uk