[access-uk] Re: Ultracane! Do I have a possible collectors item here?

  • From: "Ankers, Dave (UK)" <Dave.Ankers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:34:36 +0100

Hi Amro,

Have you found, as I have, the UltraCane's ultra Sonics, do not work
very well at detecting round objects such as posts and cones.

Cheers

Regards

Dave Ankers

Yes. I own one and I think it's a great idea. However, its design and
its actual manufacturing leave a lot to be desired. It's little too big
and I would much prefer it if it was designed as a small device that can
be attached to your normal cane. I really hope that someone develops it
to be a more robust device because, in my Experience, it makes a
different in mobility. As the Ultra cane stands now its price should
perhaps comes down a little to make it affordable to more people as it's
unlikely that one can get fund from whatever institution to buy it. Now
imagine this sonar device was equipped with a GPS navigator, built in
GPS receiver and Bluetooth. They can charge then whatever they see fit
and many people would be happy to pay I think! Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
Amro