[access-uk] Re: Ultracane! Do I have a possible collectors item here?

  • From: "Dave Taylor" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:40:05 +0100

Hi, the problem is that it has to contain batteries, sensors and something
to give feedback, then fit either over or on the top of a cane. You either
have to have the size, or you have to manufacture a completely new kind of
cane to go wit it, and then you lose out on the volume sales of canes which
is what keeps the price down. Its use is very different from, say, a phone.
You wouldn't want to plug a dirty cane into a charger somewhere, so you
can't take advantage of phone type batteries, so you need ones you can get
in and out to replace them.Even if it went on over a cane, it would still
need to fit round the handle, so wouldn't be any smaller. The point of the
Ultracane was that it told you about obstructions in 4 different
directionsso being on a cane it needs all the different sensors. If it were
a hand held, you could point it any way, so it would need one sensor and one
way of giving feedback. Then the shape would be much less important too, so
it could be much smaller.

I think for that price though, I would certainly look at using much shorter
canes and not trying to put the handle over them. I still think you'd fid it
very hard to get such a complex unit much smaller though.

Cheers
Dave