[access-uk] Re: Ultra Mobile PCs

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 20:09:14 +0100

        I've just bought an Asus 901 Netbook. So far, it's proving a really
good choice. It comes with Windows XP, 12Gb hard drive and 1Gb of memory.
It's got a full compliment of USB 2.0 slots, a card reader, bluetooth,
integrated web cam and wireless support for all protocols.

        It's very small. Just 25cm x 13cm x 4cm, weighing about 1.1Kg. It
came with MS Works, Adobe Reader, Skype and a number of other applications
pre-installed.

        I've since removed MS Works and replaced it with MS Office 2003 and
I've also got Jaws 9.0 running comfortably on there too. I've thrown on MS
Project for good measure, and so far at least it's running smoothly.

        I've supplemented the hard drive with a 16Gb USB stick and a couple
of 8Gb SD cards. This gives me plenty of storage, as well as an easy way of
transferring files and executables across to the netbook.

        It's small size does mean that the keyboard is extremely small. You
do need nimble fingers to get up a good typing speed and certain keys that
are present on a standard desktop keyboard require a function key to be
activated on the 901. Once you get used to it though, it's no problem.

        It is extremely portable though. Battery life seems to be around 6
to 8 hours, depending on what you're up to. You can just chuck it in your
bag and go. Costs about £300, including a neoprene case and comes in black,
white or pink as far as I can work out.

Léonie.