[access-uk] Re: USB connectivity

  • From: "ANDY COLLINS" <Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:52:50 +0100

Hi George, Barry, and anybody else that has or can help.

Here's an update on my friends problem installing a Western Digital USB portable drive to his XP machine.

When first connected, the 'found new hardware' wizard launches, searches for and seems to find the required software, and does seem to actually install, but after clicking on finish, a message pops up saying an error occurred during the installation, and the installed device may not function properly. It doesn't give any clues as to what the error is!

So, although it appears to have installed, the drive isn't showing up under My Computer, although when we look under 'serial bus controllers' under Device Manager, it is there called 'external hardware device.'

His machine has service pack 3 installed, so the driver software should be up to date, and like I said, I don't think this is the problem, as it does say finished installing, but then produces that error message.

We did try the drive with a Vista laptop, and it installed ok, so can anybody suggest why it isn't showing up on my friend's machine?

Thanks for any help -

Andy
----- Original Message ----- From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>