[access-uk] USB Ports

  • From: Douglas Harrison <harrison1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 17:40:09 +0100

I have a rather elderly desktop machine In which (perhaps unwisely) I
had a new HD, mother board and graphics card fitted around 18 months
ago.   I am considering scrapping it although it is still useful as a
second system but the lack of USB ports is a great handicap.

I cannot locate anything which feels like a USB socket on the rear of
the tower, but was surprised to notice in the Billarch Adviser
summary the following two lines

VIA Tech 3038 PCI to Universal Host Controller

and

USB Root Hub

I have since found the same items in Device Manager.

Could this mean that the new mother board had USB capability but no
actual USB outlets were fitted?

Sorry for my ignorance, but my knowledge of hardware matters is even
more deficient than in the software field!

Douglas

--

Douglas Harrison