[access-uk] Re: Two more Gmail questions

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 17:25:22 +0000

Hi Jackie.

I'm not sure if i'm understanding you correctly, so please bare with me. I too can't seem to find an option to mark all the messages via the web, it must be a GMail bug. i'd hit control A to select all in the list view in outlook, and hit delete. The difference between pop and imap essentially is that pop was designed to download mail from a server to your computer, then the mail would either be deleted from the server or remain there for ever regardless if you deleted it on your PC, unless you expressly set server options manually. Imap is a lot more versitile. any actions you carry out on your PC are replicated in realtime to your mail on the server, its a lot more efficient. so in other words, unless you set outlook to keep a copy of mail on the server its deleted or moved to trash. you can also access all your folders via imap more efficiently, copy mail between folders, etc so the long and short of it is you've made an excellent choice by using imap. Also, if you use other devices and set your mail up via imap, any actions carried out on your other devices are also automatically carried out on your PC because it'll syncronise. I hope this all makes sense? what did you have trouble with when deleting using outlook? to speed things up, i'm more than happy to give you a call at your convenience so we can discuss this, just drop me a note off list.

all the best,

Mo.

On 01/01/2013 16:42, Jackie Cairns wrote:
Could I possibly ask two more Gmail questions please?

Firstly, does anyone know how to delete Emails on the Gmail web page?  Now I
have created an account in Outlook, thanks to the very good instructions on
a link Mo provided, I can now read my messages, but am unable to delete
them.  I can't seem to find the box to check them all on the website so I
can delete them from the server, and I can't delete them from Outlook in the
same way I can with all stuff in folders from my regular Inbox.  I hope this
makes sense.

Secondly, what is the difference between Imap and Pop, apart from the
protocols?  I opted to route my Gmail account to Outlook 2003 using Imap,
and just wonder what the difference is in using it instead of Pop.

Thanks.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns