[access-uk] Re: Twitter Beware!

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:21:41 +0100

For anyone who can't get to the article Tony refers to (because it's
one of those stupid scrolling gizmos) here's the actual article for
Eire's Tech. Central web site.

George.

http://www.techcentral.ie/article.aspx?id=13500

Cyber-crooks move to Twitter to infect users
Microbloggers having to look before they tweet

Internet | 08 Jun 2009 :  A report by security firm Panda Lanbs has
uncovered a new threat to users of microblogging website Twitter. In
this case, cyber-criminals have created hundreds of user accounts and
published thousands of comments in them under the topic "PhishTube
Broadcast", in relation to cult US rock band Phish. This way, they
ensure the topic appears in the 'trending' (most popular) topic list
published on the righthand toolbar.

In this attack, if Twitter users click on the "PhishTube Broadcast"
link, they will see the malicious comments published in the accounts
created by the cyber-crooks. These include links pointing to a spoof
pornographic Web page. Users that click on any of the items on the
page will end up infecting their computers with a copy of the
PrivacyCenter fake antivirus.

A fake antivirus is a type of adware designed to run a spoof scan of
the system, as if it were a legitimate antivirus application. It
falsely informs users that their computers are infected with malware.
The aim is to make users believe their systems are compromised, and
then offer them the chance to eliminate this supposed malware by
buying a 'Premium' version of the fake software. The overall objective
is to profit from these sales.

"We have recently been warning of an increase in such attacks,
particularly those aimed at selling fake antivirus products,"
explained Luis Corrons, technical director of PandaLabs. "With
millions of users, this network [Twitter] is extremely attractive to
cyber-criminals, and it is likely we will see it targeted more often
in the future".

Twitter is not the only social media website to suffer from such
attacks. Bookmarking service Digg.com and YouTube have duped users
into logging on to malicious websites in recent months.