[access-uk] Re: Tvonics Freeview Talking Recorder

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 21:07:52 +0100

William, the Portset box filled a gap in the market which was glaringly vacant at the time, and they probably made a killing doing so. Blind people like sighted people want the latest technology now and there are clearly people who are prepared to pay for it. We would have said the same years ago about accessible phones but like this Freeview PVR unit, the IPhone revolutionised the way blind people used phones, just as this new product revolutionises the way we access freeview, and like the pen friend takes a cost effective approach to labelling. The point I'm making is that although access to freeview, mobile phones and labelling have been available for years, these have been considered luxuries which only the elite blind IE those who can afford these things themselves or get them through work or social services budgets have been able to enjoy.

-----Original Message----- From: william lomas
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 8:09 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Tvonics Freeview Talking Recorder

who is going to buy though the goodmans boxes people may want to sell though now and the 600 quid portset freeview box, now that we can get this? sighted people aren't going to want the portset boxes so what do people do with those?

On 3 May 2012, at 19:48, Ibrahim Gucukoglu wrote:

Hi William.

*Sigh*, you really don't get the point do you? This is not some piece of junk, this is a top quality commercial PVR Freeview tuner with full text to speech, even the menus and virtually all other functions are accessible with the exception of internet and teletext, well worth it at twice the price. The recorder even looks the piece, a really well designed and well crafted piece of equipment.

All the best, Ibrahim.

-----Original Message----- From: william lomas
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:57 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

from RNIB for 179 pounds still expensive when a sighted person can get this kind of book for what 50 60 quid?

On 3 May 2012, at 18:38, ANN FLYNN wrote:

where do you buy this recorder paul? and how much does it cost?
Ann Flynn
----- Original Message ----- From: "Porter, Paul" <Paul.Porter@xxxxxxxxxxx>