[access-uk] Re: Trekker Breeze

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 14:44:46 +0100

Hi Saqib.

Sadly, the Trekker like lots of products for the blind uses cheap components, also the fact that it doesn't have Wi-Fi connectivity greatly hinders the device's capability to get a good GPS signal. The reason your IPhone can get a much better signal is simply because of the multiple ways in which it gets GPS data. As well as the hardware GPS chip built in to the device, it also uses Wi-Fi and mast triangulation to approximate your position, the hardware gps is used mainly once the Wi-Fi and mobile triangulation are accomplished to maintain the GPS lock. I would when first switching on your trekker put it on a window sill and leave it for around 5 minutes so it can get a position from the satellites.

All the best and good luck, Ibrahim.

-----Original Message----- From: Saqib Hussain
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:23 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Trekker Breeze

Hi. Recently I've aquired a Trekker as I've heard lots of positive
reviews about it and wanted to try one out. Much to my disappointment!
I can hardly get a GPS signal when I switch it on. Over the last few
days! I've taken it on regular bus journeys and two train journeys and
the Trekker has failled to lock on to a GPS signal. My iPhone can get
a signal with any of my GPS apps within seconds and this expensive old
brick that has been widely touted as the ideal GPS solution for blind
people can't get a signal for hours. I've updated the software and
that hasn't made any difference. It still takes a good hour to lock on
to a GPS signal and as soon as I get on a bus! I lose the signal for
the entire journey. This thing is an expensive brick that is only good
for paper weight duties.

--
You can find me on Twitter @Saq5000 and Skype Saq5000