[access-uk] Travel consessions, (was) Access Technology from your friendly Social Worker?

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 22:06:40 +0100

Hello.
I'll reply on the technology funding issue, which prompted my orginal
thread, in another message.

Well, interesting to have it confirmed on the travel front in Scotland.  I'm
not too good at recalling what I've heard, or when I've heard it, but seem
to remember that the Scotland-wide scheme was going to be run, initially,
for three years or so, and then it would be reviewed.

In England its very much a lottery.  Some LA's issue free all-day passes,
others charge the full £250 permitted for full passes.  When the legislation
changed things two or three years back, I believe a universal free off-peak
pass was to be made to everyone registered blind or partially sighted.
Anything above this level of use was a discretionary service that LA's
(could) offer.

In the West Midlands its a mess.  Sandwell charges the full whack;
Birmingham around £32, and other districts nothing at all.  I believe some
of the large conerbations still have free passes.

Well, before I am ruled out of order, I'll call it a day on that subject.

Ray.