[access-uk] Re: The Ultracane! I am a convert.

  • From: Dean Wilcox <wilcoxdean@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 20:13:24 +0000

I am a Guide Dog user but I'm convinced I would have tried the ultra cane if I was a full time cane user. People often knocked it because of its price but the short time I spent with someone elses left me impressed. It is a shame they're not in production any more as the company that makes them are no longer trading as from last summer, unless things have changed.

At 19:59 01/02/2009, you wrote:
I bought one of these secondhand over 3 years ago. And, although I used it a few times, last Monday someone who was looking up in the clouds - or behind him, got himself intangled with my cane and broke off one of the joints. I was ok because I wasn't far from where I was going and someone helped me there, and I managed to get a lift back home when we had finished. The only other usable cane I had was the Ultracane so I had to use it and I am very glad that I did. I find that I can walk much faster because it slides over the groud much easier because it is top heavy plus the added bonus of the 2 vibrating buttons under the thumb to warn you of approaching obstacles. Iwish I hadstarted using it seriously 3 years ago.