[access-uk] Re: The Open University?

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:50:25 +0100

Hi Dennis

I am very pleased to read that you believe the Open University offers a supportive service to visually impaired students, including several alternative formats. My experience of this was not the case and, I might add, was not what you say for others I know either.

I wanted to do a course a couple of years ago, and all my letters came to me in standard print, despite my requesting electronic or Braille formats. Also, the course material was only available on cassette, and any PDFs I was offered took so long to arrive that I decided the OU wasn't for me. Thankfully, I had the common sense to study elsewhere and never looked back.

As I say, I'm speaking personally, but I know others who have had problems accessing materials for one reason or another.

Jackie

Email: cairnsplace@xxxxxxx