[access-uk] Re: The Kindle and accessible content

  • From: "David Griffith" <d.griffith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 17:09:31 +0100

I agree but I also think that if  you come across a Kindle book that you
need or want and it is not speech enabled we should pressurise the
publishers.
This should be the case especially if there is no audio version either.  The
development of the Kindle has I believed shifted what is reasonable in terms
of adjustment. I think it is now completely unreasonable not to provide
accessible versions of these books given   the relative ease of adjustment.

It should be remembered that significant progress on the accessibility of
the Kindle Reader only materialised after the USA Blind organisation started
to take service providers using the Kindle to court  as the use of the
device then discriminated against visually impaired service users.
The new equality act places specific obligation on providing print in
accessible formats for visually impaired people. Its in law now, and not
just in guidance so the time to increase pressure is now, I think.
Regards

David Griffith